,

Southlake: 817.251.2220

Blog

Divider Bar

Financial Assistance for Amputee Prosthetics

Divider Bar

March 19th, 2020

Financial Assistance For Amputee Prosthetics

 

For many amputees, a prosthesis restores the hope for mobility and quality of life. Unfortunately, a lack of insurance and high co-pays or deductibles leave many with limb loss or limb difference unable to afford one. Understanding the cost and ways to finance your prosthesis is vital to keeping your emotional and financial stress to a minimum. That’s why we’re sharing some of the most common questions about financial assistance for amputee prosthetics.

What does a prosthesis cost?

The average price of a lower extremity prosthetic ranges from $5,000 to $50,000. The price varies based on several things including

  • the level of amputation
  • the patient’s activity level
  • the materials and technologies used to make up the device

Additionally, the cost also includes the molding and fitting procedures needed to ensure the optimal fit of the prosthetic to the user.

How often will I need to replace my prosthesis?

Even top-quality prosthetics will not last a lifetime and must be replaced on an average of every three years. Check out our blog post on signs that it’s time to replace your prosthesis for more information.

How much will be covered by insurance?

Private Insurance
Insurance coverage varies by state, company, and policy. Most private insurance plans offer some coverage of prosthetics, but often not full.

Medicaid
Veteran’s Affairs covers the cost of medically prescribed prosthetics to eligible Veterans through their hospitals or a contracted provider.

Medicare
Medicare will cover 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for external prosthetic devices when furnished by a supplier enrolled in Medicare. The remaining 20% must be covered by the patient or by supplemental coverage, such as Medicare Part B.

VA
Veteran’s Affairs covers the cost of medically prescribed prosthetics to eligible Veterans through their hospitals or a contracted provider.

Where can I find additional financial assistance?

For those whose insurance policy may not fully or partially cover the costs associated with their prosthesis, there are many resources available to assist you.

National Non-Profits
These organizations will not only provide aid for the prosthetic itself but may also help with long-term therapy and follow up doctor visits. 

Heather Abbott Foundation
Help Hope Live
Limbs for Life
Mending Limbs
Range of Motion Project
Steps of Faith Foundation
50 Legs
Shriner’s Hospital for Children
Challenged Athletes


Local Non-Profits

Local chapters of United Way, Salvation Army, Lions, Rotary, Elks, Shriners, or any other fraternity or special interest groups often provide financial assistance or fundraising help.


Local Vocational Rehabilitation Programs

These services are provided by each state and assist people with disabilities to secure jobs in the field of their choice and in some cases providing financial assistance for orthotic and prosthetic devices. Funding may be provided if it is determined to be necessary for employment, or if the device allows for greater independence. 

Carecredit
CareCredit is a GE Money company that offers low-interest and no-interest payment plans based on your needs and budget.

While financing your prosthesis can sometimes be difficult, it is never impossible! As part of our innovative care plan, we are here to help. Our knowledgeable staff will work you every step of the way—researching your insurance benefits, explaining the amount of coverage available, and pointing you in the direction of specific organizations that can provide assistance to cover the cost difference. If you would like to speak to someone about financing a new prosthesis, contact us today.

Every prosthesis is unique just like our patients.

Divider Bar

Request An Appointment